Joint ventures and academic partnerships form the core approach for the cooperative relationships in the region. Thales is committed to the progressive development of close cooperation in technology, industrial operations, training and support.
Thales has many joint-ventures in the region:
- Thales Advanced Solutions in the UAE: a joint venture between Thales and C4 Advanced Solutions (C4AS) focusing on new product development and acting as Thales’ channel to the UAE’s defence market.
- Thalbat Advanced technologies LLC in the UAE: a joint venture between Thales and Baynuna Aviation Technology providing technical and technological support in the field of on-board electronics.
- Arab International Optronics (AIO) in Egypt: a joint venture providing local production of optical and optronic equipment.
To reinforce its industrial presence in the region, in December 2015, Thales announced the creation of a new industrial competence centre specialising in metal additive manufacturing (3D printing) in Casablanca, Morocco. The project will begin in 2016, and the 3D printing facility will be fully operational as of 2018.
This competence centre will give us access to a highly capable ecosystem of industrial suppliers specialising in mechanical parts, helping us to meet all our requirements in terms of material, performance and reproducibility for the aerospace market.
In the academic domain, Thales has reinforced its ties through partnerships and Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs):
- In the UAE, a partnership between the Centre of Excellence for Applied Research and Training (CERT) of the Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT) and Thales has been signed to develop and sustain national assets and human capital in high-tech industry fields.
- In 2012, Thales and Qatar Airways jointly announced the opening of a technology research, development and training centre at the Qatar Science & Technology Park (QSTP). This laboratory currently houses state-of-the-art IFEC equipment.
- In 2014, Qatar University and Thales signed a MoU for the academic development, research and training of future Qatari professionals. Thales had already signed an agreement to provide training for cybersecurity management.
- In Morocco, Thales is sponsoring educational programmes in the aerospace and cybersecurity domains at the Université Internationale de Rabat (UIR).