In 2006 Eurostar contracted with Thales in the UK’s transportation business to support its Revenue Management Service contract. This contract was renewed in 2013 with a technology refresh and has since been extended again until 2019.
- Eurostar is the only high-speed train that directly links the UK to mainland Europe
- Since 1994, Eurostar has carried over 170 million passengers between London and Paris, Lille, Brussels, Calais, Disneyland Paris, Lyon, Avignon and Marseille with a new route planned to Amsterdam
- State-of-the-art e320 trains carry 20% more passengers, bringing the total number to 900 per train
Thales’ management service uses a third party product to forecast demand and optimise the number of tickets to be sold to passengers at each price point. The service is delivered through:
- First and second line product support
- A dedicated service delivery manager and knowledgeable team
- Hosting and infrastructure support in UK data centres
- Project and risk management for major release upgrades and testing activities
- Innovation and change management
- Focus on continual service improvement
The system improves the revenue yield for Eurostar by recommending the number of tickets to be sold at each price point. This improves off-peak prices and increases throughput. The service contract is available to Eurostar analysts for 10 hours each day, thereby enabling them to generate additional revenue.
In 2016, Claire Hennebel, Revenue Manager at Eurostar said,
“Thales has constantly delivered a great service to Eurostar and has always gone the extra mile. Last year, the team proactively identified and corrected issues, even when the root cause was not on their side, over the 4 days of Christmas week end. Thanks to this, we launched our winter promotion smoothly and as planned - that made a big difference!"
"We feel that Thales totally embraces Eurostar’s values 'Ambitious, Caring and Connected', and in that respect, we decided to extend our contract with them for another 3 years."
"Thank you Thales for your attentiveness on behalf of Eurostar!”
In addition to Eurostar, Thales provides managed service contracts to transport customers around the world. The application support team based in Cheadle also provide application support services for the Virgin Trains East Coast revenue management system.