Innovation is nothing new at Thales UK. We drive future growth through delivering research, technology and innovation with our partners in academia and industry.
In a world that is increasingly fast moving, unpredictable – and full of opportunity, Thales in the UK strives to continually improve, innovate and deliver greater value for our customers.
Our Research and Development (R&D) focuses on critical strategic themes so that our customers can continue to rely on Thales. Our innovation eco-system relies on the right mix of capabilities and skills, agility, and appetite for risk and change.
Research & TechnologyLeading a global community of researchers to develop cutting-edge technology, offering complete solutions to a wide range of civil and defence customers
Academic PartnershipsThales UK is involved with a total of £133m+ of EPSRC funded research and doctoral training centres
SME PartnershipsAt Thales in the UK, we work with SME's in order to further develop the UK Innovation Ecosystem and deliver the best solutions for customers.
Innovation CultureAt Thales UK, we have a culture of innovation that is reflected not only in our ideas and products, but also through the ways in which we work
Intellectual PropertyThales invests heavily in research & development and innovation in order to achieve its business objectives
Using innovation and Design Thinking to imagine disruptive technological of the futureResearch Technology and Innovation teams within Thales in the UK understand and help shape the trends that will change our markets in the future, finding opportunities for growing new businesses in Thales.
Nurturing emerging ideasOur aim at Thales in the UK is to support the incubation of new offerings, technologies and strategies that may lead to new ideas for transformative or disruptive technologies that solve customers’ strategic challenges.
The implementation of Open Innovation enables us to work in new, collaborative ways:
- Increasing value from customer and supply chain relationships
- Anticipating and reducing technical and market risks
- Improving operational efficiency
- Securing our pipeline for the future
- The academic ecosystem, including internal experts and universities
- Industrial ecosystem, including SMEs and entrepreneurs
- Innovation Hubs that engage customers in collaborative solution creation.
Thales in the UK design centres for design thinkingWithin Thales in the UK, Research Technology and Innovation teams have also adopted the use of Design Centres, a Thales platform dedicated to user-centred, design-driven innovation.
Design Centres operate under the principles of Design Thinking, an innovation framework and methodology, primarily focused on a core set of principles:
- Product Innovation: user research, fast prototyping and experimentation
- Service Design: Next generation services through design thinking
- Business model innovation: developing new business models and value propositions
- Transformation projects: identifying stakes, challenges, constraints and end goals
- Training: Design Thinking, creative leadership, service design and storytelling