Polycarbonate for Swedish documents
On January 22, 2015, Thales was selected by the Swedish Transport Agency (Transportstyrelsen) to design, develop, and deliver the new generation of Swedish highly-secure driver licenses and digital tachograph cards.
The new Swedish driving licenses will integrate Thales' latest security innovations.
The Swedish Road Administration started delivering the new driving license to the general public in the course of 2015.
According to the multi-annual contract, Thales will provide a set of ten new cards, including:
- The new driving license
- The new driving license for scooters
- The new driver's qualification cards
- The locomotive driver cards
- The taxi driver cards
- ADR (Agreement for Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road) licenses
- 4 types of tachograph cards.
The polycarbonate cards will be manufactured in Finland and personalized in Sweden.
But what's so existing about polycarbonate?
Fraud-resistant security features
Durable documents for Sweden
Supporting the Vision Zero initiative
Thales also supports Vision Zero, a Swedish initiative to increase road safety that is taking momentum worldwide.
Tackling fraud is central to improving road safety. As underlined by the European Commission in January 2013: “Fake driving licenses are a license to kill.”
The Governor of the US state of Connecticut summarized the challenge in May 2013: “It is about knowing who is entitled to drive on our roads and doing everything we can to make sure those drivers are safe and operating registered insured vehicles.”
- We also contribute to standards and help driving licenses evolve towards a more secure and robust card format than legacy paper-based systems that are often issued once for life.
- We promote the regular renewal of licenses as this has proven to be highly effective in reducing fraud and illegal driving.
Building the future of driver's license