Digital client onboarding for MNOs
For organizations seeking to accelerate digital transformation while also fighting fraud, the ability to onboard customers to new services through the web, mobile, and remote digital channels, is a high priority.
However, to ensure complete confidence in digital customer onboarding, it is vital for mobile network operators that the authenticity of a customer's identity is established from the outset.
That's where the Trusted Digital Identity comes in.
Secure customer identification and authentication are key
Quite simply, a Trusted Digital Identity comprises a set of verified attributes from the physical world (such as valid ID documents or biometrics) that can provide a certifiable link between the individual and their digital identity.
Digital ID Verification services are designed to ensure that this process of verifying physical attributes and linking them to a legitimate digital identity is done seamlessly and securely.
To achieve this, they encompass the digital capture and verification of ID documents and biometrics such as facial recognition with liveness detection.
Checks may also include verification with third parties, such as government databases and data, including credit card numbers and mobile records.
In this respect, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) represent additional powerful tools for determining the authenticity of identity credentials and biometrics.
New AI-based client onboarding software to the rescue
Properly employed, they can further reduce the likelihood of false positives.
A successful verification is flagged as fake or suspicious or false negatives, while a failed verification is flagged as genuine and accepted by the system.
Accuracy rates can also be much higher with biometric passports or biometric ID cards, where information, including biometric data, is read from a chip using NFC and verified.
However, not all identity documents are biometric.
Discover our white paper on customer onboarding
Please explore or download our new white paper below to learn more about the critical role that Trusted Digital Identities play in successful digital onboarding.
In particular, the paper considers the essential pillars on which effective Trusted Digital Identity programs are built:
- Capture and verification: the validation of captured images, faces, and documents can be further supported by Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine learning (ML) -related techniques for optimum accuracy.
- Genuine Presence Assurance: confirms that the person being verified is real. Again, this process can be further supported by AI and ML techniques.
- Orchestration: the workflow manages the processes and ties together all disparate technologies and data sources.
More resources on digital client onboarding and identity verification
- Identity fraud in Telecom: the financial impact
- A seamless digital onboarding experience for TIM Brasil clients
- Facial liveness detection: Attacks, countermeasures and certification
- Digital transformation for Telecoms (the 100% customer digital journey)
Download the whitepaper
Thales' trusted digital ID technology for Mobile Network