• Thales’ secure solution enables connectivity and contactless services in Samsung’s Galaxy S20 series.
• The single-chip combines an embedded secure element (eSE) and an embedded SIM (eSIM) – that enables high performance contactless services and a fully digitalized mobile connectivity experience for highly compact smartphones, smartwatches and tablets.
• Supported certified applications could include secure payments, transit checking and Digital ID.
The Samsung Galaxy S20 will be the first and only device on the market to feature Thales’ technological breakthrough1 - the world’s first smartphones featuring a secure single-chip solution to support both mobile connectivity and trusted contactless services. The use of this innovative connected eSE offers new possibilities for the next generation of consumer devices that pack a wide range of NFC2 services including secure payments or transport ticketing.
Growing rapidly in popularity, the eSIM enables effortless remote access to connectivity. Users can manage their mobile subscriptions without having to fit or replace SIM cards. Galaxy S20 users will be able to enjoy seamless mobile connectivity and contactless applications such as payments, transit ticketing and digital ID (including mobile passports and mobile driver licenses) in compliance with the relevant industrial specifications (GSMA, payment and transit organisations). This all-in-one connected eSE also saves further valuable space in smartphones, smartwatches and tablets.
Daniel Ahn, Senior Vice President and Head of Mobile Security Team, Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics.
Phil Sealy, Research Director, Digital Security research, ABI Research
Emmanuel Unguran, Thales Senior Vice President for Mobile Connectivity Solutions
1. Availability may vary across markets and models.
2. NFC (Near Field Communication) is a standardized wireless communication technology allowing for data exchange between devices that are a few centimetres distant (up to 5 cm). NFC embedded secure element shipments are expected to reach 473 million units among mobile devices by 2024. Source: ABI Research – March 2020.
Related resource: What is an eSIM: 6 illustrated answers infographic
Thales (Euronext Paris: HO) is a global technology leader shaping the world of tomorrow today. The Group provides solutions, services and products to customers in the aeronautics, space, transport, digital identity and security, and defence markets. With 83,000 employees in 68 countries, Thales generated sales of €19 billion in 2019 (on a pro forma basis including Gemalto over 12 months).
Thales is investing in particular in digital innovations — connectivity, Big Data, artificial intelligence and cybersecurity — technologies that support businesses, organisations and governments in their decisive moments.