MINE & OBSTACLE AVOIDANCE SONAR
Submarine high frequency active sonar for own ship safety and tactics
MOAS provides high detection performances and ensures that the submarine is always in a safe environment to maneuver.
- Mine & obstacle detection and localization
Safe shallow waters navigation.
Mine fields avoidance.
- Detection of surface obstacles
Highly important for submarine safety when surfacing.
- Bottom mapping for 3D Navigation
Real-time visualization of seabed (Nav 3D), localization & tracking of contacts.
- Short range submarines detection
Management of short range situation with very quiet submarines.
In service at sea.
15 systems contracted:
Malaysian Navy: SSK Scorpene class
Indian Navy: SSK Scorpene class
French Navy: SSNs Barracuda & Amethyste class
Essential for the safety of submarines operating increasingly in littoral waters, the real-time 3D navigation capability also provides potential for better own ship geographical localization (based on correlation with existing charts or sea-marks).
The MOAS provides also a good short range detection capability of cooperative or non-cooperative platforms in the vicinity.
- Easy to integrate by shipyards
- Stand alone or fully integrated sonar in S-CUBE sonar suite
- 3D real time visualization for obstacles and bottom mapping
- Automatic 3D localisation enabled by wide band, frequency coded transmission and 3D forward bottom mapping
- Selectable narrow elevation beams and wide frequency band provide very good performance against reverberation, especially in shallow water, and provide high probability of detection against moored mines
- Detection and tracking, low absorption losses and good discretion level
- Automatic detection and tracking provides the operator with the capability to manually send a detected mine or obstacle location to the tactical system
- Display in graphical form uses a Man Machine Interface (MMI) with a high-resolution colour display
- Easy to interface MOAS with combat management system (CMS) and navigation systems (electronic charts)
Bandwidth 36 to 72 KHz
Range coverage 1Km approx.
Range accuracy better than 0.5 m at 1 km*
Bearing accuracy 1.5° at 54 KHz ahead of submarine
Bearing coverage ≤ 90°
Elevation coverage Sector of 24°, 12° or 6° Steerable elevation coverage
* Ahead of the submarine, static point target, assuming perfectly known velocity profile