What is ISO 14443?
ISO 14443 is an international standard that describes how contactless cards and terminals should work to ensure industry-wide compatibility.
ISO 14443 is all about contactless and security.
For example, it plays a key role in:
- identity (contactless ID cards, electronic passports),
- payment (contactless credit cards),
- mass transit (MIFARE, CIPURSE, or Calypso schemes),
- access control applications (contactless ID badges).
This contactless standard has been developed by the ISO, the International Organization for Standardization.
Technical committees comprised of experts from the industrial, technical, and business sectors developed the standards to increase levels of quality, reliability, and interoperability on an international scale.
ISO 14443 and its 4 layers
The ISO 14443 is divided into four separate parts outlining:
- physical characteristics,
- radio frequency,
- signal interface,
- initialization and anti-collision and transmission protocol.
Thales has always had a strong involvement in the ISO definition of the chip card standards and has participated in the development of this international standard in particular.