With its 50-year history in the country, Thales employs 220 people in Brazil and subcontracts products and services from more than 300 Brazilian companies. Thales Latin America headquarters is based in Sao Paulo.
In order to be closer to the customers and play an important partner with the local industry system, Thales has implemented a strong local industrial capacity with (i) a radar manufacturing facility in Sao Paulo (ii) a Sonar Excellence Centre in Sao Paulo, (iii) a Space Technology Centre in Sao Jose dos Campos, (iv) an In-flight Entertainment integration centre in Sao Paulo, (v) an Integration Centre for Transportation in Sao Paulo, and (vi) a global Aerospace Service Centre addressing Brazil and also South America.
As a consequence of these local investments and nationalization efforts, Thales, through its subsidiary Omnisys, has already implemented various projects certified as "Strategic Defence Products”.
Thales works closely to the Brazilian authorities to bring the best answers to their needs in all aspects: providing operational proven solutions, implementing local industrial capability, performing transfer of technology, developing local services close to the customers, establishing partnership with Brazilian industrial players and universities, training high level Brazilian engineers, fostering innovation in high technology, developing international networking to Brazilian engineers and partners, exporting from Brazil high end products and systems produced in the country.
Thales participates in two other space projects of observation satellites that have been developed by INPE together with local industry: CBERS (China Brazil Earth Resources Satellite) and PMM (Multi Mission Platform).
Similar Local cooperation have also been established in the field of naval systems, navigation aids for airplanes, radars for air traffic control, defence communications, transportation, avionics, etc.
- Thales is the leader in the e-security market in the field of cryptography for financial transactions, protecting over 85% of all transactions in Brazil
- Thales is developing the security market for critical infrastructure protection (ports, airports, barrages, etc.) and safe & smart cities.
- Thales supplies Intercom System (SOTAS) for several Brazilian military vehicles.
- Thales supplies Electronic Warfare systems for Brazilian Navy ships.
- Thales is developing technology for surface ship radars.
- Thales supplies critical systems such as sonar, communication and electronic warfare systems and consoles for the Brazilian submarines.
- Thales implemented sonar as well as radar Technological Centres in Brazil.
Through a strategic partnership with the Brazilian Navy, Thales supplies critical systems such as sonar, communication and electronic warfare (radars and communications) systems to its fleet, including corvettes, frigates and submarines. Thales opened an Excellence Sonar Centre in Brazil in 2016, and transfers technology to the country demonstrating the company’s local commitment to prepare for the future.
The Brazilian Army selected SOTAS system for communication interconnection into several vehicles. Besides Guarani vehicle, the system can also be found in the Urutu and M113 vehicles. The SOTAS system is recognized by its performance and modular capabilities, allowing easy adaptations, expansions and straightforward operations. SOTAS was also selected by Avibras, which integrates it and other Thales equipment (Radios, Optronics, Fuses, etc.) into products for Brazilian and Export programs.
In security, Thales is leader in the e-security market in the field of cryptography for financial transactions and is developing the critical infrastructure protection market for ports, airports, barrages and other strategic assets besides its safe & smart cities programs.
- Over 120 primary and secondary radars and 190 Navaids (DVOR, ILS and DME) for Air traffic Management.
- More than 70% of all surveillance radars in the country.
- Thales is exporting from Brazil radars to more than 10 countries in the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
Thales supplies Embraer with equipment for their commercial and business jets and Inertial Navigation Systems (INS), GPS, HPIRS (High Performance Inertial Reference System) for the new generation multi-mission transportation aircraft: the military jet KC-390. Embraer also choose Thales’ IESI (Integrated Electronic Standby Instrument) and Satellite communication Systems to equip some of their aircrafts (for commercial aviation and executive jets).
In addition, Thales also delivers in Brazil navigation aids systems such as ILS, DME/DVOR to the airports.
- Thales has developed the SGDC – Geostationary Satellite for Defence and Communications - and opened a Space Technological Centre in Sao Jose dos Campos in 2015.
- Thales has equipped the space launch site of Alcantara with several sensors like tracking radars, optical tracking systems, S Band telemetry stations, and electromagnetic surveillance system.
Since 2013, Thales Alenia Space is developing and producing the Brazilian Geostationary Satellite for Defence and Communications (SGDC) with a complete program of training and transfer of technology including the creation of a Space Academy in Sao Jose dos Campos. In 2015, Thales opened also a Space Technology Centre in Brazil for the development of technologic partnerships with Brazilian companies in the space sector. This is a significant step ahead for Brazil to its sovereignty, offering security and reliability to its critical communications and extending the Internet access to remote populations.
- Thales is supplying signalling & communications systems for metros and Light Rail Transportation (LRT).
- Integration Centre in Brazil.
THALES BRAZIL commitment to Quality is set by:
- Supplying quality products and services, focusing on customer satisfaction;
- Providing opportunities for the personal development of our employees;
- Searching for new technologies in order to follow market trends and customer needs;
- Continuously improving Quality.
The Board of Directors has analyzed each Quality Policy item and has defined Objectives and its measuring and monitoring mechanisms (Performance Indicators). These objectives are analyzed, whenever necessary, improvement actions are set up.
THALES BRAZIL establishes the following objectives in order to enlarge the comprehension of its quality policy:
- Customer satisfaction;
- Employee Training and Development, aiming at Company growth;
- Provide innovations to market needs;
- Continuously improve the Quality of Products and Services.