Thales has a +50-year history in Brazil and employs more than 900 people in the country.
Its headquarters is located in São Bernardo do Campo (SP) and the company counts with four offices in São Paulo (SP) (HQ Thales Latin America), São José dos Campos (SP), Rio de Janeiro (RJ) and Brasília (DF).
Thales operates out of three high technology industrial facilities which are located in São Bernardo do Campo (SP), responsible for the development, qualification, production and services of radars, sonars, avionics, defence systems and in-flight entertainment, Pinhais (PR), that produces bank cards, SIM Cards and electronic documents of high-quality polycarbonate and Barueri (SP), responsible for bank card personalization. All these units respect the HSE norms for a safe work environment.
In December 2019, Thales took a significant step towards the development of innovative solutions for the global market from Brazil, with the opening of its first Design Centre in the southern hemisphere, located at the Thales site in São Bernardo do Campo (SP). The Design Centre works to identify, develop, and reinvent the needs, products, and services of the future according to the needs of the company's customers across Latin America. The services offered by the Design Centre include product innovation and service design, business model innovation, transformation of projects and training.
- Leader in Air Traffic Control radars market, with local production at Omnisys, a Thales subsidiary in Brazil. Over 70% of the Air Traffic Control radars in Brazil are provided by Thales (around 130 radars);
- Radars produced in Brazil are exported to countries in the Americas, Europe, Middle East and Asia;
- 75% of Brazilian Navigation Aids market with over 180 equipment installed;
- Avionics supplier (IESI - Integrated Electronic Standby Instrument) for all Embraer Commercial Jets, the majority of Embraer Executive Jets and KC-390 (HPIRS- High Performance Inertial Reference System);
- Avionics supplier for Azul, LATAM and GOL Airlines aircraft and other major airlines in the region;
- Avionics Supplier for Brazilian Airbus Helicopters entity (Helibras) for Helicopters flying in Brazil;
- In-flight Entertainment supplier for Azul with local support from Thales in Brazil;
- Certified by the National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC) in 2018 to carry out repairs of avionics equipment in Brazil in our Service Centre;
- Thales-SES partnership to provide high-speed on-board connectivity to Airlines in all North, Central and South American countries.
- More than 35 Strategic Defence Products & Services (PED) registered;
- Strategic partner of the Brazilian Navy. Supplies critical systems for the Brazilian Submarines strategic defence program (PROSUB), such as sonars, electronic warfare and communication suite;
- Electronic warfare systems for corvettes and frigates, together with radars and communications solutions;
- Thales works to offer the Brazilian Navy the most modern solutions for the Frigates Tamandaré, encompassing a large volume of technology transfer and local content, as well as local support throughout the vessel life cycle as well as its systems;
- In 2011, the Brazilian Army selected SOTAS (radio intercomm system) for several vehicles due to its performance and modular capabilities, allowing easy adaptations, expansions and straight forward operations;
- In April 2019, the Brazilian Army signed with Omnisys, Thales subsidiary in Brazil, a five-year contract for the development of a highly complex and fully transportable test range instrumentation system for the Brazilian Army Assessment Center (CAEx).
Banking and Payment Solutions
- Thales works with all major Banks, Retailers, Loyalty Programs and Fintechs in Brazil to deliver best in class payment Contact & Contactless Cards and Digital Payment Solutions;
- Thales is also the world leader in Digital and Cyber Security. We enable users to authenticate securely and perform transactions in a trusted environment using our tested proof fraud prevention tools and technologies.
Mobile Connectivity Solutions
- Thales is the #1 SIM Card provider in Brazil and supplier of eSIMs (embedded SIM Card) in the Latin America market. To be able to connect smart devices, homes, industries, Thales provides On Demand Connectivity (ODC) platform for Consumer Electronics and Internet of Things (IoT) devices. Among several projects, Thales has provided the ODC platform for the first connect cars project in Brazil for the country’s leading car manufacturers;
- Advertising campaigns run on Thales's Mobile Marketing channel. Smart Messages are delivered to operators, banks, brands, insurances or services providers, with more than 2 billion interactions per year.
Identity & Biometric Solutions
- Thales is a global reference in the Identification and Biometric markets. Its solutions are already being used in Brazil by important customers, such as São Paulo Civil Police (Civil and Criminal Biometric System), Brasilia Civil Police (Civil and Criminal Biometric System) and Federal Police (Enrolment Stations for Passport Issuance) and are based on:
- Physical and electronic documents (e-Documents);
- Border Control Systems and Document Scanners;
- Identity Management and Know-Your-Customer Solution and Document Issuance Systems;
- Multi Biometric Solutions (ABIS), hardware and software for criminal and civil purposes.
Cloud Protection & Licensing
- The Data Protection and Identity and Access Management solutions provided by Thales are essential for organizations looking for compliance with the new Brazilian privacy law LGPD (Lei Geral de Proteção de Dados - Brazilian GDPR). Our solutions anonymize and protect access to sensitive data stored in public or private clouds or on-premises;
- Thales is the #1 supplier of Payment HSMs (Hardware Secure Modules) in the country, where a majority of payment transactions are processed through one of our HSMs.
Analytics & IoT Solutions
- Thales offers a broad portfolio of products and services to support IoT design, deployment and lifecycle managment of IoT devices, for all verticals (beyond our traditional hardware modules business):
- Smart Cities;
- Point of Sales terminals;
- Car Tracking and Automotive;
- Home Automation and Alarms;
- IoT Gateways and TELECOM;
- With the deployment of new technologies, such as NarrowBand (NB) and CATM, Thales will enable the future of everything connected;
- Thales is lauching 5G modules, which will provide extremely high data transmission and reception speeds for connections.
- In 2016, Thales provided communications, signalling and localization systems to the first and most modern Light Rail Transportation (LRT) in Santos, SP – Brazil.
- Thales is one of the main partners for Brazilian Space programs, developing and delivering Satellite and sub-systems such as transponders, X-Band transmitters, antennas, on-board computers, and others:
- Geostationary Defense and Strategic Communications Satellite or SGDC (in Portuguese: Satélite Geoestacionário de Defesa e Comunicações Estratégicas), with Thales Alenia Space;
- CBERS (China-Brazil Earth-Resources Satellite);
- PMM (Plataforma Multimissão);
- SGDC-1 is a real success story based on close cooperation between Thales Alenia Space and Visiona. It is the first Brazilian Geostationary Satellite to enable access to high-speed internet to the entire country – considering remote areas and to secure military telecommunications to the country. In May 2017, SGDC-1 was launched and became successfully operational;
- The SGDC-1 is a dual satellite, with military and civil applications. The satellite has X-Band dedicated to military activities and KA-Band for civil applications. It is being operated by Telebras and is moving forward with installation of internet access points in remote areas. More than 11,000 points were installed by March 2020, and in total, should reach 50,000 internet access points;
- Thales Alenia Space actively supports the development of the Brazilian Space Industry by leading the Transfer of Technology (ToT) to Brazilian companies Fibraforte (propulsion), Equatorial (thermal control), Cenic (mechanical structures), Orbital (solar panel), AEL (programing SPGA and ASIC) and OPTO Eletrônica (optical). Thales Alenia Space has been implementing a technology transfer program with Brazilian companies since 2016 and these companies are ready to bring the Brazilian Space program to the next level;
- During SGDC-1 development and manufacturing, 40 Brazilian engineers received the Technology Absorption Plan (TAP) training in France – they were trained in the full range of space engineering techniques and then joined the Thales Alenia Space teams on the SGDC program. Thales Alenia Space operates in São José dos Campos (SP) a Technological Space Centre.
- Provide quality products and services, with a focus on customer satisfaction;
- Provide opportunities for the personal development of our employees;
- Research new technologies to keep up with market trends and customer’s needs;
- Prevent pollution and environmental risks in its operations from production to distribution of its products, with technical and innovative solutions, mitigating their impacts;
- Comply with the legislation applicable to its activities, products, services and establish procedures to ensure that inputs of illegal origin are not used;
- Continuously improve the Management System regarding Quality and Environment.
- Customer satisfaction;
- Training and Development of employees;
- Development of new solutions and services seeking innovation based primarily on customer’s need;
- Measure, monitor and control significant impacts on the environment;
- Continuous improvement through the involvement and commitment of each of our employees to implement good practices that stimulate the culture of Quality and Environment in the organization.