As the IoT booms, rapidly evolving networks and security standards are driving the need for frequent device software updates. Physical maintenance of large and global device fleets has become cost-prohibitive and too time-consuming for most implementations. Over-The-Air updates (OTA), much like those downloaded on a laptop computer, provide a way forward for IoT devices
However, for a majority of IoT deployments, especially those using highly efficient Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN) connectivity, the constraints of remote updates can outweigh the benefits.
OTA update strategies for IoT must be carefully designed to balance device firmware update requirements with LPWAN bandwidth and speed while protecting the battery life of the device.
Over-The-Air (OTA) updates are critical to IoT application success:
- Emerging software-based business models require regular firmware updates
- Cellular network evolution must be supported to eliminate connectivity issues
- Emerging security vulnerabilities must be mitigated in real-time
Thales Update Services provide extremely efficient and secure remote management of Cinterion IoT Modules and Terminals to help proactively control the lifecycle of device firmware. Critical updates are sent simultaneously across large and globally distributed fleets. Secure remote updates are achieved by leveraging encryption mechanisms and digital signatures that ensure only trusted software is accepted on an IoT device.
Thales Update Services - Key Benefits
- One-click software updates across massive fleets
- Secure execution ensures software authenticity
- Efficient Incremental FOTA strategy saves time, cost and energy
- Efficient campaign planning tools
- Flexible pay-as-you-grow model
Thales Updates services keep the overall cost of operations low while keeping millions of widely distributed global assets up to date, secure and working at their best.