- The autonomous rail is one of the most important trends for the future of railways, as stated by representatives of Thales Polska at the 14th TRAKO International Railway Fair.
- As an expert, Thales participated in important international projects in this field.
- The autonomous trains are equipped with advanced solutions including navigation systems whose dynamic development will enable the rail industry to play a key role in the ecological transformation of transport in the world.
- Thales systems interact with human beings at all times; they must be resilient and secure; and they must take into consideration the imperative need to conserve the natural environment, "building a future we can all trust".
The autonomous railway is the future of the railway industry: the representatives of Thales Poland talk about the prospects of this sector and data management revolution. The 14th TRAKO International Railway Fair, held at the end of September in Gdańsk, created an excellent opportunity to learn about the latest global trends in the industry, technological solutions, the development of transportation systems and railway infrastructure. Nearly 500 exhibitors from 20 countries took part in the fair, including the representatives of Thales Poland.
Good forecasts for the autonomous rail market
Analysts estimate that the autonomous trains market will grow by 8% annually in the coming years1. As market predicts, the growing demand for safety, security and high-quality services will drive the market of autonomous trains.
For some time, advanced research and tests have been carried out in this area, and new models of the most technologically advanced autonomous vehicles have been released on the rails. As an expert in this field, Thales participated in important international projects and tests on autonomous trains.
“Autonomous trains are operated without human intervention. The automation of the trains allows to increase the efficiency of all transport-related processes, including the creation of more economical and environmentally neutral solutions. For this reason, more and more countries decide to introduce autonomous solutions in rail transport. It can be assumed that in several years the share of the autonomous trains market will increase significantly, due to their flexibility, comfort, safety and their ecological benefits, transporting people, goods and ideas.” Paweł Przyżycki, Member of the Board, Managing Director MLS Poland
Trains are the safest and most efficient means of transport. Their autonomous versions are equipped with advanced solutions including navigation systems, cameras and on-board computer systems, replacing some of the work previously performed by humans. As our systems need to interact with human beings at all times; they must be resilient and secure; and they must take into consideration the imperative need to conserve the natural environment, "building a future we can all trust". Thanks to the use of Data Fusion and Artificial Intelligence autonomy will improve safety, punctuality, flexibility providing a positive ecological impact. Advanced digital technology is already present in almost every area of the railway activity. The dynamic development of innovative solutions in the railway industry creates a unique opportunity to increase its share in the entire logistics market and to become an integral part of the ecological transformation of transport in the world.
1) Autonomic Vehicles: Autonomous Train Components Market – Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends, and Forecast, 2017-2025”. (Autonomous Trains Market: Trends, Forecast and Competitive Analysis (researchandmarkets.com))
Thales (Euronext Paris: HO) is a global leader in advanced technologies, investing in digital and “deep tech” innovations – connectivity, big data, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity and quantum computing – to build a confident future crucial for the development of our societies. The Group provides its customers – businesses, organisations and governments – in the defense, aeronautics, space, transport, and digital identity and security domains with solutions, services and products that help them fulfil their critical role, consideration for the individual being the driving force behind all decisions.
Thales has 81,000 employees in 68 countries. In 2020 the Group generated sales of €17 billion.