In-flight Entertainment & Connectivity (IFEC): You will never want to leave the airplane!
WHat is IFEC?
- In-flight Entertainment refers to the entertainment available to aircraft passengers during a flight. During the 1990s the demand for better IFE was a major factor in the design of aircraft cabins. Before then, the most a passenger could expect was a movie projected on a screen at the front of a cabin, which could be heard via a headphone socket at his or her seat. (see our infographics about IFE history -LIEN).
- In recent years, IFE has been expanded to include in-flight connectivity: services such as Internet browsing, text messaging, cell phone usage (where permitted), wireless streaming…
IFEC by Thales: Enrich the Travel Experience: entertain, connect, inform, inspire
Key facts about Thales IFEC
- More than 1,300 aircraft across 78 airlines (MAJ ?)
- Thales IFEC employs 1850 persons over 30 facilities around the world (HQ in California)
The most advanced seatback IFE system currently flying in the world
Thales offers the most advanced seatback IFE system currently flying in the world. It is scalable to any requirement (from wireless to full embedded).
- Android-based: Allowing for more functionalities to be added as they are developed, without reconfiguring the entire system.
- Graphical User Interface (GUI) almost in line with consumer technology: The passenger interaction is virtually no different to a tablet computer or smartphone. Because it is android-based, the user interface closely mimics the types of interfaces most passengers are used to on the ground.
- SmartPIM modules (Passenger Interface Media modules): Allows an airline to change passenger interfaces on the IFE system (power outlets, chargers NFC* readers, etc.) without having to rip out the entire system. First modular and interchangeable interface technology can be installed in a variety of configurations, giving the airline choice in how they integrate the SmartPIM into the seat environment.
Wireless streaming solution for In-Cabin IFE directly to passenger devices
- Flexibility: our solution allows passengers to download IFE content on their Personal Electronic Device (PED) without needing to use the seatback video. It is device-agnostic, meaning that no matter what laptop, tablet, smartphone or other device the passenger has, the content can be streamed.
- Architecture: Very low weight and power, for a minimum impact on the aircraft and easy to install.
- A 24/7 Operations Centre located in California monitors the status of every seat supported by us.
- Thales builds on its longstanding relationships with major Hollywood studios that provide most of the content featured on all IFE systems.
Connectivity: Offering anytime anywhere access
Demand is driving the industry to faster and faster developments in aircraft connectivity for passengers, the cabin crew and flight crew. What for?
- For the passenger, it means bringing the Home Experience to the Air: Entertainment, Information, Internet Access, credit card payment…
- For Airline Operations , it means boosting work efficiency for maximum passenger satisfaction: Surveys, Built-In test Equipment, all flight logs / information, Passenger to Crew Communications & Crew to Ground Communications…
By 2025, 70% of commercial jets will be connected.
Thanks to its widest satellites coverage, regional and global, Thales offers connection even over the poles!