We trace our origins in Australia back to the 1890s and are a premier provider of systems, products and services in both commercial and defence areas.
Our expertise ranges across protected mobility vehicles, naval support services and integrated communications solutions for defence through to air traffic management systems, cyber security solutions and transport systems for the commercial sector. Thales in Australia capabilities are recognised by customers who not only require superior equipment, but the systems integration, prime contracting and through life support expertise that boost their competitive edge
Thales is one of the Australian Defence Force’s most trusted partners and is one of Australia's leaders in research and development. We have strong affiliations with the Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO) and the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) as well as leading tertiary institutions in Australia. Research and development is our company’s lifeblood, and we build on that to create, manufacture and support a wide range of truly innovative products.
Thales has access to local skills and resources, and a global reach to a parent company with vast international capabilities. At every step of the value chain, Thales plays a pivotal role in making the world a safer place.
General Dynamics vehicle arrives in BendigoThales Australia’s Bendigo facility is currently playing host to a new vehicle, with the recent arrival of General Dynamics Land Systems’ LAV(CRV) on site.
AerospaceThales Australia specialises in avionics and electronics for the aerospace domain, and is a leading edge provider of airspace control and security solutions for the commercial and defence sectors.
DefenceThales is a strategic industrial partner of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and major defence operations around the world.
SecurityThales Australia offers integrated security, communications, and safety management solutions for the national security, defence, transportation and infrastructure industries.
TransportationTogether with our customers we innovate to deliver greater productivity, optimising operations and performance, maximising asset utilisation.
- 06/04/2016 until 08/04/2016 ASPI Conference
- 26/11/2015 Thales supports Spirit of ANZAC Centenary Experience travelling around Australia
52 matching job(s)
Regular Employment - Australia
About Thales AustraliaTogether. Safer. Everywhere.Whenever critical decisions need to be made, Thales has a role to play. Thales in Australia is part of a leading international electronics and systems group serving the defence, aerospace and space, security and transport markets in Australia and throughout the world. Our expertise ranges across protected mobility vehicles and integrated communications solutions for defence through to security solutions and systems integration for the commercial sector.Thales Protected Vehicles exists to develop protected mobility vehicles, developing specialised products to meet specific requirements not catered for elsewhere. Our manufacturing, engineering and design operations are based in Bendigo, Victoria and we also have a major support facility in Brisbane, Queensland. Our products include the Bushmaster protected mobility vehicle, the recently developed Hawkei, survivability enhancement kits, engineering support services and vehicle maintenance and repairs.About the RoleReporting to the Hawkei Systems Engineering Lead within our Protected Vehicles team, you will provide subject matter advice and engineering services to supporting the development of Hawkei, the next generation of protected mobility vehicle. Working closely with a variety of technical stakeholders, you will utilise your skills and experience as you partner with others in understanding customer requirements to provide technical solutions in systems safety.Key Responsibilities
- Utilise your proven experience as a systems safety engineering professional
- Protected Vehcile | Hawkei focus in this pivotal role
- Permanent role, rewarding salary package + benefits
- Relaxed lifestyle; Bendigo, Victoria location
Skills and Experience
- Performing safety assessments and developing system safety programs
- Working closely with engineering stakeholders to ensure safety related requirements are met
- Developing verification plans that adequately demonstrate safety objectives and requirements have been met
- Conducting hazard analysis in line with preferred processes, standards and best practices
- Effectively communicating with engineering resources to develop risk mitigations to hazards
- Working closely with design teams to implement safe system architectures and develop assurance practices that ensure product compliance to applicable hardware and software system safety standards
- Providing subject matter expertise in the support of various safety and design reviews and meetings
- Managing external subcontractor participation and auditing associated system safety programs
Special Requirements: Must be an Australian Citizen to be eligible for a Defence Security Clearance and access information covered by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.Be part of something big – apply now to showcase your skills and join the team.Thales AustraliaTogether. Safer. Everywhere.
- Appropriate tertiary qualification with demonstrated experience in a systems safety and/or a systems engineering capacity
- Previous experience managing a safety program
- Experience in Defence system safety programs in accordance with relevant standards, especially MIL-STD-882
- Knowledge of functional safety standards including IEC-61508, IEC-61511 and ISO-26262
- Ability to conduct Quantitative Risk Assessments using RAM Engineering methods
- The ability to assess crash and blast protection measures of heavy vehicles and to conduct complex operation and support hazard analysis for vehicle operation and maintenance
- Experience in developing and maintaining a hazard log and developing SOFARP justification and mitigation measures
- Working knowledge of system safety tools and techniques including Fault Tree Analyses, Event Tree Analysis, Goal Structured Notation, SWIFT, HAZOP AND safety Instrumented System design
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering software tools such as RAM Commander and Windchill
- High level interpersonal, organisation and communication skills
- Demonstrated report writing skills with a high attention to detail
Close the description
Regular Employment - Australia
Thales Australia is part of a leading international electronics and systems group serving the defence, aerospace and space, security, and transport markets in Australia and throughout the world. Our expertise ranges across protected mobility vehicles and integrated communications solutions for defence through to security solutions and systems integration for the commercial sector.
Thales Underwater Systems (UWS) is a global leader in advanced Sonar systems and for more than 2 decades has been responsible for delivering systems to both civilian and military customers in Australia. We are currently seeking an experienced Senior Systems Engineer to join our team.Key Responsibilities for this role Includes:
- Requirements design and analysis at the customer and product level
- Conducting requirements impact assessments resulting from Engineering Changes
- Managing the systems development of compliance matrices and system verification processes
- Management and control of requirements (existing and in development) utilising the company mandated DOORS database tool
- Supporting the Systems Engineering Manager in the implementation of systems engineering processes
- Preparing Systems Engineering Management Plans (SEMP), formal test plans and procedures.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience Required Include:
- Engineering/Science Degree qualified and able to meet the requirements for membership of IEAust
- Greater than 10 years’ experience in hardware and/or software product development and requirements analysis
- Large scale integrated system design and development experience in one or more of the following domains: combat systems, radar, sonar, ESM, communications systems
- Experience with systems design and development
- Experience of systems operational test and evaluation
- Previous experience with DOORS for requirements management
- Experience in one or more of the following is desirable but not essential: combat systems, military communications, EIA632 Processes, SCADA, PLC's or Train Control.
To apply for this role you must be eligible for a Defence Security Clearance. The suitable candidate may need to be ITARS cleared; therefore Thales need to know if you hold any other passport other than Australian, or have dual citizenship.
Interested so far? Please click on "Apply" to submit your cover letter and CV.
Close the description
Regular Employment - AustraliaAre you curious? Do you enjoy making the complex, simple? (or do you enjoy tackling and solving hard problems in technology)?Our communications, IT and cyber security division is all about making the complex simple and solving problems for our customers.Our customers rely on Thales Australia to develop innovative solutions that transcend traditional boundaries, and to deliver secure and resilient solutions in the most challenging of environments.Together we will unravel the unrelentingly unknowable and translate it into ingenious, game-changing solutions.The Secure Communications & Information Systems Business Domain designs, integrates and supports C4ISR systems, including mission systems, support systems, systems of systems integration and C4ISR products.Our integrated solutions include:Strategic communications systems - including satellites, wide area communications network infrastructure and management systemsTactical communicationsCommand and control (C2) information systems.Systems Engineers provide the innovation, system development and maintenance that provide the core capability of the business.The primary purpose of this position is to devise, develop and maintain reliable and economically viable solutions to meet the needs of our customers.A Systems Engineer performs a subset of all the engineering activities required to develop a solution/product achieving customer satisfaction of the delivered solution/product.These engineering activities encompass:Understanding of customer’s needs and through life cycle concerns whatever the used means (e.g. advanced studies, simulations, mock-ups, models, prototypes, …)Assisting in the formalisation of mission / function description, architectural design and requirements,Assisting in the formalisation of the specification and the engineering plans used to develop the solution/product,Assembly of the solution / product elements in a logical and controlled manner to evaluate the design, behaviour, interactions and performance, and to confirm that the requirements against which the solution / product has been designed are fulfilled,Demonstration that the solution / product satisfy the overall approved operational needs and that the product data package is ready for release to production and to operation and support.SPECIAL REQUIREMENTSAustralian citizenshipHold or be eligible to obtain Australian security clearance to Negative Vetting Level 1.Eligible to obtain authorisation to work with ITAR controlled equipment and technologyKNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCEQUALIFICATIONSEngineering Degree suitable to achieve membership of the Engineers Australia in relevant Communications, Computing, IT or Electronics related field.ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCEEngineering experience in the design and implementation Defence Information & Communication Technology (ICT) or similar complex electronic systems.Experience working within a Systems Engineering lifecycle.Experience with authoring/reviewing technical documentation.DESIRABLE EXPERIENCEExperience working on Defence projects.Use of requirements management tools such as DOORS.Interested so far? Please submit your resume to explore further.
Close the description
Regular Employment - Australia
About Thales AustraliaTogether. Safer. Everywhere.Whenever critical decisions need to be made, Thales has a role to play . Thales in Australia is part of a leading international electronics and systems group serving the defence, aerospace and space, security and transport markets in Australia and throughout the world.Our expertise ranges across protected mobility vehicles and integrated communications solutions for defence through to security solutions and systems integration for the commercial sector.As a key member of our Protected Vehicles team and reporting to the Senior Configuration Manager, you will work closely within a small team of configuration professionals in support of Thales Protected Vehicles. You will focus on recording, maintaining and releasing of configuration information within an organisation experiencing an exciting growth phase.Key Responsibilities
- Utilise your configuration management experience
- Take on your next career challenge and join the team at Thales Australia
- Permanent, full-time role: Bendigo, Victoria location
Key Skills and Experience
- Utilising your previous configuration management experience and high attention to detail to ensure product integrity
- Managing configuration baselines to ensure integrity, traceability and history
- Monitoring the recording and releasing of configuration information and related technical data
- Regularly using various databases to capture information based on production requirements
- Focusing on engineering change management requirements and related processes
- Liaising with various stakeholders in the receipt and analysis of critical product information
- Supervising the input from other team members in supporting the maintenance and integrity of the definition, recording and traceability of configuration data
- Maintaining an eye for detail audit processes and related reporting activity
Special Requirements: You must be able to obtain an Defence Security Clearance and access information covered by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.Our ideal candidate will be an experienced, adaptable and results driven configuration management professional. With an eye for detail and a desire to contribute to the big picture, you will join a team of like-minded professionals and become part of a large scale organisation at Thales Australia.Apply now to utilise your skills and experience and join the Thales Australia team today.Thales AustraliaTogether. Safer. Everywhere.
- Strong background in a similar role focused on configuration management
- Well-developed computer skills with previous database systems experience and MS Office competencies
- Proven attention to detail with high level analytical skills
- Well-developed communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with a variety of stakeholders
- Confident and able to constructively challenge and influence others
- High level planning, organisational and prioritising skills
- Those with a relevant tertiary qualification and/or previous leadership experience will be viewed favourably
Close the description
Regular Employment - Australia
Together we create the systems of tomorrow
Join us as an Engineering Leader to help shape this creativity
Rydalmere, NSW base
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. We design the critical security solutions of tomorrow by combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create. Together we clarify complicated problems by combining our experience in the defence sector with our leading research and development capabilities. Our customised solutions enable defence and security officials to react quickly and with clarity. We innovate through teamwork across borders. We need agility and the best talent working in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver large-scale projects. As our people grow with us, they can see our definition of teamwork expand every day – with an emphasis on innovation, collaboration and a strong customer focus
Thales in Australia is a diversified company operating across both defence and non-defence markets, including secure ICT, air traffic management, military systems integration and ground transportation. In many of these markets Thales’s competitive position is based on mastery of technology and engineering. Due to growth we are looking for a Engineering Director to join our Ground Transportation and Secure Communications team to oversee the Engineering components across the following activities
• delivery of revenue collection, information and supervision systems to transport system operators,
• support and evolution of Command and Intelligence Systems used by the Australian Defence Force (ADF),
• design, delivery and support of other C4ISR solutions, in the Land and Maritime sectors.
As the Director Engineering, Research & Technology you will have the following responsibilities in respect of Engineering:
• Vision and Competitiveness – you will develop the engineering vision for the Business Unit and ensure that it aligns with that of Thales Australia and the Global Business Lines. You will also ensure that the Engineering Performance of the business aligns with the broader priorities set by the Global business
• Skills – As the Engineering Leder for the business you will assess the engineering skills within the team and prepare a skills development plan for the training, coaching, mobility and recruitment of engineering staff
• Engineering Accountability - you will define who is in charge of the project engineering architecture roles : System architect and disciplines architects. You will also ensures the efficiency of delivery to the organization is optimized.
To be successful in this role you will have a strong track record in the delivery of large scale engineering programmes either within the transportation or defence sectors. You will be able to demonstrate exemplary skills in the design and delivery of complex engineering systems, have the leadership skills to develop and inspire engineers at all levels and be prepared to be the face of Thales Engineering for the business units to both clients at the wider engineering community
If you are looking for your next challenge and think that guiding the development of a team that is advancing the frontiers of innovation is for you, then apply online now.
Thales . . .Together we create the systems of tomorrow . . . join us.
Close the description
Fixed Term / Temporary - Australia
Together. Safer. Everywhere.Whenever critical decisions need to be made, Thales has a role to play. Thales in Australia is part of a leading international electronics and systems group serving the defence, aerospace and space, security and transport markets in Australia and throughout the world. Our expertise ranges across protected mobility vehicles and integrated communications solutions for defence through to security solutions and systems integration for the commercial sector.About the RoleThales Protected Vehicles exists to develop protected mobility vehicles, developing specialised products to meet specific requirements not catered for elsewhere. Our manufacturing, engineering and design operations are based in Bendigo, Victoria and we also have a major support facility in Brisbane, Queensland. Our products include the Bushmaster protected mobility vehicle, the recently developed Hawkei, survivability enhancement kits, engineering support services and vehicle maintenance and repairs.Reporting to the Systems Engineering Lead, you will be responsible for the development of key components for the Hawkei. This diverse role will see you working on a variety of work packages, with a particular emphasis integrating the electrical system to ensure system requirements are met. You will also be exposed to some exciting research and development activity as you focus on quality requirements, customer outcomes and schedule adherence, contributing to the ongoing success of our Protected Vehicles team.Key Responsibilities
- 12mth fixed term contract opportunity with the Hawkei team at Thales Australia
- Utilise your electrical / electronics / software / systems engineering background
- Take on your next career challenge; Hawkei focus / Bendigo, Victoria location
Skills and Experience
- Broad electrical system integration responsibilities, supporting the development and integration of the Hawkei electrical system, particularly the integration of the electrical system into the vehicle and trailer
- Maintain diagnostic hardware and software, supporting vehicle diagnostics as required
- Monitor vehicle diagnostics and other aspects of the Hawkei electrical system as well as verification and validation tasks
- Utilising systems engineering methodologies, develop and manage the verification of project requirements
- Monitor project progress and implement/manage corrective actions and related engineering change proposals where required
- Develop Systems Engineering Management Plans and Contractor Engineering Management Plans and collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of engineering professionals and other project stakeholders
- Actively contribute to various systems engineering meetings and provide necessary commentary to various internal stakeholders
- Focus on rigorous documentation control/management, ensuring quality standards are also adhered to
- Take part in research and development opportunities as part of a project driven organisation that is dedicated to growth and development opportunities
Special Requirements: Must be an Australian Citizen to be eligible for a Defence Security Clearance and access information covered by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.Be part of something big – apply now to showcase your skills and join the team.Thales Australia.Together. Safer. Everywhere.
- Tertiary qualified Electrical / Electronics / Systems Engineer
- Demonstrated experience within a systems engineering and product development environment
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal with a high attention to detail
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to work with a variety of stakeholders in the achievement of desired business outcomes
- Intermediate computer skills, especially in MS Office and role related databases
- Those with previous experience within Defence and/or the automotive industry will be viewed favourably, as will those with previous exposure to DOORS application tools and MATLAB
Close the description
Regular Employment - Australia
Thales is Australia’s leading provider of military vehicles, naval systems, transport systems, secure communications systems, aerospace systems and air traffic management systems.
The Secure Communications and Information Systems (SIX-AUS) business unit delivers military ICT solutions, secure communications, electronic vehicle integration, cyber security, intelligence services and equipment support services. We work for the Department of Defence and other parts of the Australian Government as well as for commercial clients, e.g. in providing virtually all of the banks in Australia & New Zealand with the crypto technology necessary to keep financial payments secure.
SIX Australia & New Zealand comprises three business units, located mainly in Sydney & Canberra, but also with growing teams in Melbourne & Perth. They are:
Secure Information Systems
Communications & Land Electronics
Cyber Security & Intelligence Services
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
As part of the Communications and Land Electronics unit the Senior Systems Engineers will be working on the development of the next-generation Integrated Computing System for the Hawkei. Hawkei is a highly mobile, highly protected light vehicle that meets today’s and tomorrow’s operational needs, it will be with the fitted with ICS so the Battle Management System, radios, sensors and weapon systems can all be managed through one open architecture system with a single common crew interface.
The Senior Systems Engineer performs a variety of engineering activities which enable the development of solutions/products aimed at addressing the Customer’s needs. These engineering activities encompass:
Understanding the Customer’s needs and constraints throughout the entire product life-cycle using effective techniques and tools (e.g. advanced studies, simulations, mock-ups, models, prototypes)
Integration of the product elements in a logical and controlled manner to evaluate the design, behaviour, interactions and performance of the solution.
Demonstration of the solution to confirm that it satisfies the end user needs.
The key areas of responsibility for the Senior Systems Engineer are:
Participate, and where necessary take the lead in integrating product elements into the ICS, including:
The implementation and verification of solutions.
The production of engineering reports, and design documents.
The verification of architectures and solutions against established requirements.
The presentation and demonstration of solutions to customer representatives.
Work within integrated product teams to ensure the successful development and implementation of related engineering programs (e.g. Installation, EMI/EMC, Safety, Security, Environmental, Production, ILS).
Attend and participate in regular departmental and project meetings.
Attend and participate in technical reviews (both internal and external).
Must be flexible to work at other locations as needed.
Able to undertake occasional short term domestic and international travel in support of project and bid activities.
Hold or be eligible to obtain Australian security clearance to SECRET (NV1) level.
Eligible to obtain authorisation to work with ITAR controlled equipment and technology.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Engineering Degree suitable to achieve membership of the Australia Engineers in relevant Communications, Computing, or Electronics related field.
Engineering experience in the design and implementation Defence and / or Commercial communication networks or similar complex electronic systems.
Experience and proven expertise in the areas of military Command, Control, Communications, and Computers (C4I) systems.
Experience working within a Systems Engineering lifecycle.
Experience with authoring/reviewing technical documentation.
Extensive experience in management of engineering design / technical maintenance.
Demonstrated, well-developed team leadership abilities.
Highly developed interpersonal and communications skills.
A high level of analytical and / or problem solving skills.
Analogue and digital radio communications knowledge.
Hold, or be eligible for, CPEng status as a member of Engineers Australia.
Experience with C4I systems on protected and unprotected vehicles highly regarded.
Management of technical teams to achieve objectives.
Use of requirements management tools such as DOORS.
Experience in integrating software applications into a virtual environment
Interested so far? Please click apply to submit your resume and explore further.
Close the description