The Root Subscription Management Discovery Service (Root SM-DS) is part of the GSMA Remote SIM provisioning specifications for the consumer market.
The GSMA is offering this service under the name of Root Discovery Service.
This service is one of the options available for users seeking to download mobile subscriptions onto their eSIM-capable consumer devices.
The root SM-DS acts as a central hub where devices can connect to acquire a profile (mobile subscription) from any mobile telecom operator connected to the service.
The root SM-DS automatically provides the eSIM-capable devices with the SM-DP+ (*Subscription Management platform for Data Preparation) address of the Mobile Network Operator.
With subscriptions downloaded in just a single click, it aims to simplify the user experience of connecting a consumer eSIM enabled device to a mobile telecom network.
With this service, the GSMA aims to create an ecosystem in which all connected mobile telecom operators and consumer device makers benefit from:
- Simple customer experience
- Fully digitized processes, using only the mobile device.
- A standard solution designed to work with any consumer device, from any manufacturer
- No need for bespoke processes and integrations between device makers and mobile telecom operators
- Straightforward connectivity for eSIM-enabled Consumer IoT devices: Root Discovery Service does not require integrations between MNOs and OEMs and does not place restrictions on devices. There is no need for devices to have a camera or the capability to download an MNO app.
The GSMA is delivering the Root Discovery Service using a platform developed and operated by Thales per the GSMA standards.
Thales, as GSMA certified SM-DP+ provider, resells the service. Thales SM-DP+ customers seeking to get onboard the GSMA´s Root Discovery Service should contact their Thales sales representative.
Based on the GSMA’s Root Discovery Service framework, SMDS Connect is a smart router that can address all OEM proprietary Discovery Services.
More information on Thales SMDS Connect