As a major player in the defence sector in both France and Australia, Thales is delighted that DCNS has been selected, after an international competitive evaluation process, as the international partner of the Australian Ministry of Defence for the renewal of its submarine fleet (SEA 1000 programme).
Thales is DCNS's main shareholder (35%) alongside the French state and is a major defence contractor in Australia, with a local workforce of more than 3,200 employees. Thales already provides acoustic sensors (sonars) to both DCNS and the Royal Australian Navy.
The SEA 1000 programme is the largest acquisition project in the history of Australian defence, representing an investment of around 34 billion euros.
"This is a great day for the Australian and French defence industries. Thales congratulates DCNS for a success that reflects the level of trust between the French and Australian defence sectors and the extent of technology transfers between the two countries. All of us in France are proud to contribute to Australia's defence capability by providing the very best naval technologies available." Patrice Caine, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer of Thales.
Notes to editors
Thales is the world leader in sonars for submarines and the exclusive partner of DCNS for the supply of all sonars in service with France's submarine fleet.
- With more than 50 years of experience as a provider of naval equipment, systems and services, Thales brings unrivalled expertise to naval forces around the world.
- Thales air defence, surface defence, anti-submarine warfare and maritime safety & security systems are recognised for their performance throughout the world. From submarines to aircraft carriers, the fleets of more than 40 naval forces currently rely on Thales solutions.
- Thales designs and delivers acoustics and communications systems and subsystems for anti-submarine warfare and mine countermeasures
- Thales is No. 1 worldwide in dipping sonars and No. 1 in Europe for mine countermeasures systems for surface vessels.
- The company equips more than 140 conventional and nuclear submarines in service with 23 navies, including the French Navy and the UK Royal Navy.
- Over 300 Thales minehunting sonar systems are in service around the world.