Defending ID documents against attack
Security features can be overt and covert, visible and invisible and even secret.
More precisely levels of identity security are classified in 4 categories.
Traditional high-security features available for all Thales documents include guilloches background printing, rainbow printing, invisible fluorescent printing or mixed into visible ink, intaglio printing and micro-printing, OVIs and modified fonts just to name a few.
These security features can be found on the Swedish e-Passport for example.
Discover some of our Level 1 and Level 2 security features in this video.
Unique document security features
At Thales, we recommend 100% polycarbonate data pages or cards, tamperproof solid card bodies that are impossible to delaminate and that enable the deployment of some very unique security features.
- A strong visible security feature is the Gemalto Window - a transparent window created inside the card making it impossible to copy and enabling quick checking. Laser engraving and several optical elements can also be combined within the window. Any attempts by forgers to tamper with the document will be immediately visible. We detail, in our report on transparent elements, the future of "windows" and how it can improve ID fraud prevention.
- Window Lock is a highly innovative security concept for the protection of the holder portrait against any subsequent change by means of additional laser engraving.
- Translucent PC offers a new generation of window security features with multiple, complex shaped transparent and semi-transparent windows and edges.
- Clear to Cyan Sealer technology embeds a transparent colour-shifting OVD (optically variable device), such as a patch or strip, into the credential. These devices using are easy to see but hard to replicate.
- True Vision reveals brilliant true-colour images under UV light.
- The new family of Thales' innovative Secure Surface features enhances the security of polycarbonate identity documents by combining different effects: light reflection, movement and tactile effects.
- Unique in the market, Edge Sealer offers laser-etched markings along the edge of the document, thus adding an additional layer of security. Edge Sealer literally “seals” your secure document against any slicing or grinding attempts.
- Color Laser Shield is the first laser printing solution to deliver an unalterable colour image combined with the high security and exceptional durability of polycarbonate at the personalization stage.
The Swedish eID
(zoom on CLI)
Gemalto secure documents have the highest electronic level of security with its embedded software for electronic passports and other electronic identity documents, further enhancing the security of the document itself.
As you will see on our web site, Thales has a wide variety of innovative security features that are available. These features are customizable according to your needs.
Sadly, there is no "silver bullet" of document security.
So, how can we really help?
Document security and design
Our knowledge is combined with close co-operation and consultation with security experts and forensic laboratories, as well as the know-how of Thales' own dedicated team of engineers.
We offer extensive experience and support, enabling our customers to meet their expectations for distinct and robust documents that are as secure as they are attractive. As a result, we're proud to have designed some of the most secure and attractive passports, IDs and driver licenses to appear in recent years.
An optimal level of document security advocates collective defensive elements as part of an integrated approach to document protection that involves:
- Product structure
- Security features
- Graphical design.
The various component elements can be made to reinforce each other’s effects to provide enhanced security on any document.