Defending ID documents against attack
Security features can be overt, covert, visible, invisible, and even secret.
More precisely, levels of identity security are classified into four categories.
Traditional high-security features available for all Thales documents include guilloches background printing, rainbow printing, invisible fluorescent printing or mixed into visible ink, intaglio printing and micro-printing, OVIs, and modified fonts, to name a few.
These security features can be found on the Swedish e-Passport, for example.
Discover some Level 1 and Level 2 security features in this video.
Unique document security features
At Thales, we recommend 100% polycarbonate data pages or cards, tamperproof solid card bodies that are impossible to delaminate, and that enable the deployment of some unique security features.
- A strong visible security feature is the Gemalto Window - a transparent window inside the card, making it impossible to copy and enabling quick checking. Laser engraving and several optical elements can also be combined within the window. Any attempts by forgers to tamper with the document will be immediately visible. Our report on transparent elements details the future of "windows" and how it can improve ID fraud prevention.
- Window Lock is a highly innovative security concept for protecting the holder portrait against any subsequent change using additional laser engraving.
- RevealPlus combines three established technologies into something unique. Take a window with a secondary photo, add a decoder lens, and include hidden data in the image for a new generation of animated features.
- Translucent PC offers new window security features with multiple, complex-shaped transparent and semi-transparent windows and edges.
- True Vision reveals brilliant true-color images under UV light.
- The new family of Thales' innovative Secure Surface features enhances the security of polycarbonate identity documents by combining light reflection, movement, and tactile effects.
- Unique in the market, Edge Sealer offers laser-etched markings along the edge of the document, thus adding a layer of security. Edge Sealer literally "seals" your secure document against any slicing or grinding attempts.
- Color Laser Shield is the first laser printing solution to deliver an unalterable color image combined with polycarbonate's high security and exceptional durability at the personalization stage.
The Swedish eID
(zoom on CLI)
Gemalto secure documents have the highest electronic level of security with its embedded software for electronic passports and other electronic identity documents, further enhancing the document's security.
As you will see on our website, Thales has various available innovative security features. These features are customizable according to your needs.
Sadly, there is no "silver bullet" in document security.
So, how can we help?
Document security and design
Our knowledge is combined with close cooperation and consultation with security experts and forensic laboratories, ids, and passports readers manufacturers, as well as the know-how of Thales' dedicated team of engineers.
We offer extensive experience and support, enabling our customers to meet their expectations for distinct and robust documents that are as secure as they are attractive. As a result, we're proud to have designed some of the most secure and attractive passports, IDs, and driver's licenses to appear in recent years.
An optimal level of document security advocates collective defensive elements as part of an integrated approach to document protection that involves:
- Product structure
- Security features
- Graphical design.
The various component elements can be made to reinforce each other's effects to provide enhanced security on any document.