Connected cars and the right infrastructure
Every year millions of motorists are involved in accidents or other roadside emergencies. This is an unsettling experience regardless of the circumstances.
- But imagine the stress if the occupants of the car don’t speak the local language.
- Or what if the incident occurs late at night in a remote or unfamiliar location?
- Or worse, what if injuries occur that lead to loss of consciousness?
These were the questions being addressed by a coalition of European Union (EU) transportation players led by ERTICO, Europe’s Intelligent Transportation System (ITS) organization, seeking to create a pan-European emergency response system.
Thankfully, the IoT and automotive M2M technologies are now fitted with all new types of cars and light vehicles as of April 2018.
The new 112 eCall system is born.
ERTICO and its members team up for eCall success
ERTICO worked with its member organizations to develop an eCall emergency response system that assists drivers anywhere they travel throughout the European Union.
The system leverages two critical elements for success:
- An upgraded European-wide interoperable Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) infrastructure,
- And installed or embedded Machine-to-Machine (M2M) eCall communication devices in all vehicles.
Gemalto Cinterion automotive modules provide wireless connectivity for both the PSAP infrastructure and the in-vehicle eCall devices.
The system is initiated when In-Vehicle Equipment (IVE) or airbags detect that an accident has occurred.
The eCall device automatically dials Europe’s emergency number, 112, and communicates “the minimum set of data” (MSD). This includes the time of the incident, cause of activation, GPS coordinates, and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
The call is immediately connected to the nearest PSAP where staff can determine what type of emergency services are needed. Early responders are dispatched and arrive at the scene, fully informed, and prepared for the situation at hand.
Improved emergency response time and results
A project of this magnitude takes unprecedented collaboration across a complex ecosystem of government agencies, multiple languages, automobile manufacturers, and leading ITS and IoT M2M technology companies.
Each step in the emergency response chain of events requires robust testing and the utmost attention to security.
The effort is well worth the payoff!
Early results indicate that the eCall system has reduced response time by:
- 50% in rural areas
- 40% in urban areas.
Besides, it has the potential to save approximately €14 billion every year while reducing the number of fatalities by at least 4 % and severe injuries by 6%.
ERTICO is already working on the next generation eCall.
More on ERTICO
ERTICO – ITS Europe is a public-private partnership of 120 companies and organizations representing service providers, suppliers, traffic and transport industry, research, public authorities, user organizations, mobile network operators, and vehicle manufacturers.
ERTICO develops, promotes, and deploys Intelligent Transport Systems and Services (ITS).
More inspiring IoT examples
- Electrifying Africa: SolarKiosk
- MedMinder makes Medication Smarter with IoT Connected Pill Box
- Exeter to reach carbon neutrality by 2030
- OnKöl mHealth Device (IoT at work)
- Mobike demonstrates the power of IoT
- Svep Design Center and the IoT (Interview)
- Cargo Tracck Protects Rainforest Trees
- Globalmatix to connect the unconnected
- iLOC watch enhances safety for loved ones
- Enkom Active Oy and the IoT (Interview)
- Aware 360 and Thales in IoT
- Vignet and the mHealth Challenge
- Tauron and Smarter Energy (IoT connectivity)