Smart Metering Solutions
for Meter Makers and Utilities
With a global shift to less predictable renewable energy sources, utilities need transparency and reliable data to balance loads on the grid. At the same time, consumers want greater control over their energy usage.
Smart meters meet both these demands, yet they also introduce a wealth of potential security issues – from privacy breaches to state-sponsored cyber-attacks.
Smart meter security and reliable connectivity are, therefore, paramount.
Smart meter markets worth $12 billion by 2024
The pandemic impacted smart meter rollouts in several key markets.
The Thales advantage for smart meters
World-leading smart meter security
Leveraging decades of digital security expertise across highly demanding markets (banking, aerospace, defense etc.), Thales built a dedicated smart metering cybersecurity solution, which is unique on the market. Thales end-to-end security protects genuine devices; it ensures metering data integrity and confidentiality, to make sure data reaches only authorized ecosystem players.
By using Thales future-proof cellular modules - rather than wi-fi or mesh technologies - smart meters benefit from standardised and power-efficient connectivity. Our cellular modules connect to any network in the world, and are secure-by-design, following strict protocols.
The Thales award-winning Connectivity Activation solution (launched in 2021) tackles the challenge of network provider (or MNO) selection and helps mitigate network disruption. Connecting to any MNO network and seamlessly pivoting to new service providers without physical updates needed, our unique solution helps you meet your SLAs while saving up in Total Cost of Ownership.
Thales' 24/7 smart meter connectivity solutions, advanced security expertise, and device lifecycle management platform help differentiate your smart meter solutions.
Thales solutions for smart meters
CONNECT your smart meters
Utilities require smart meters to transmit data about energy usage reliably for accurate billing and grid balancing. Thales' cellular connectivity solutions offer:
- Future-proof cellular connectivity modules (2G, 3G, 4G and upcoming 5G) that provide utilities with much more reliable communications than landline connections
- Highly efficient Low Power Wide Area Network (LPWAN) solutions, which are ideal for battery-constrained devices, often operating in deep underground
- eSIMs and a Remote Subscription Management platform. This supports single SKU design, accross regions, for easier manufacturing and logistics. Thanks to our native bootstrap and ´empty shell´ eSIM, smart meters can be remotely configured for any cellular operator when it is turned on for the first time.
Learn more on Thales cellular smart meter connectivity modules
SECURE your smart meters
Smart metering cybersecurity risks are a reality. Thales supports meter manufacturers to design and provide gold standard smart meter security:
- World-renowned cybersecurity expertise – utilities know and trust Thales for unparalleled device and data protection
- Secure digital identity, embedded into the roots of each device, ensure that smart meters cannot be cloned
- State-of-the-art encryption of data and digital signature schemes ensure data integrity and confidentiality
- Our dedicated cybersecurity solution let you focus on production and deployment, while we manage credentials during the complete meter lifecycle
Learn more on Thales Trusted Key Manager (TKM) solution for smart meters
MANAGE your meters´ connectivity
Utilities require 24/7, reliable connectivity for extended periods. Thales gives you:
- Longevity: Our cellular smart meter solutions provide consistent service of at least 10-15 years
- Remote management and updates: Thales solutions allow to install patches and software updates to fleets of meters from a distance, thereby improving device uptime and TCO
- SLA conformity: The Thales Connectivity Activation solution tackles the challenge of global roaming with secure and remote MNO network updates, whenever needed. Smart meters can autonomously pivot to new service providers without any physical update, maintaining constant service at reduced costs.
Thales Smart Energy Solution Portfolio
The dedicated Smart Energy offer encompasses advanced connectivity and security solutions to connect and protect massive smart metering deployments over time: reliable cellular modules, remote connectivity provisioning, secure data exchange and device lifecycle management.Download the Solution Overview
Smart Energy 2.0
A 6-step infographic comparing traditional vs streamlined smart metering operations and how smart grid actors can benefit from the latest cellular connectivity breakthroughs.Download the infographic