Continuous authentication: seamless and unobtrusive for a fluid customer experience
Silent authentication is ideally suited for the next generation of eCommerce delivery based on passive behavioral biometrics and machine learning.
Silent authentication, also referred to as continuous authentication, typically relies on an app running on your smartphone whilst dealing with your daily activities: it will identify and authenticate you silently, thanks to a powerful and continuous machine learning analyzing data like:
- The way you use your phone
- Your gait
- Your surroundings
- Your geolocalization
What is silent authentication?
Silent authentication technology was originally designed to deliver convenient and robust risk-based authentication for online transactions in the banking sector. See our page on behavioural biometrics in banking.
Silent authentication uses continuous passive behavioural biometrics authentication to ensure a fluid, personalized, and trusted customer experience.
Smart techniques and tools are used to analyze behavioural patterns to securely authenticate the consumer and thus deliver a raft of online services.
User behaviour analytics solutions range from geo-location tools that use machine learning to build a picture from the stores they regularly visit, how they walk or how they hold and swipe their device.
Helped by powerful machine-learning systems, this technology can help build up a rich, multi-dimensional customer profile.
Behavioural biometrics and other context-based signals provide adaptive authentication to accurately analyze in real-time the authenticity of any transaction for the ultimate in seamless customer experiences.
Let's find out how this concept could be applied to an eCommerce order scenario with drone delivery and how it ensures a fluid, secure, and personalized customer experience.
A great customer experience
We are already involved in silent authentication, relying on a suite of existing smart tools from the banking sector and developing new ones based on continuous behavioural biometrics to create a truly secure, seamless, and personalized consumer experience.
We know customers are ready to pay for these seamless services.
Besides, they will enjoy sharing their experience on social media.
What consumers say they want
Recent consumer surveys have revealed some key consumer insights which offer some critically important learnings for key players involved in the mobile and internet of things (IoT) ecosystem; namely
- online retailers,
- and OTT service providers.
Connected consumers say they want three main things:
1. Trusted connected objects
- 48% of users said they want mobile to become the main form of ID*
- 63% of users said they believe that by 2025, cars will be driverless*
2. A seamless consumer experience
- "Back home after a long day, I'd like my walls to adapt to my mood. If I'm relaxed, they will turn to my favorite blue, and some nice tunes would play."***
- "If I leave my phone at home, I'd like to be able to use a disposable device at work to which I can automatically transfer my personal profile."***
3. Personalized services
- "I'd like the lighting in my home to adjust to my favourite colours and for artwork to be displayed on the wall to suit my mood."***
- "When I order online, I'd like my package to be delivered directly to me, by drone, within two hours."***
* Survey of 1,969 smartphone users in Brazil, China, Germany, France, the UK, and the US, December 2016
*** Nealite Showroom - Key users insights, 2017
Getting to grips with silent authentication Q&A
A new way of thinking about authentication promises a fluid, secure and personalized customer experience.Read more