Stronger voter authentication
Securing voter authentication for more transparency.
The voting process is still predominantly manual and paper-based. As a result, it is often labor-intensive, time-consuming, and vulnerable to fraud.
However, modern technology can deliver significant improvements such as speed and reliability to a critical phase of an election process: voter authentication just before a ballot is cast.
For election commissions, numerous benefits can be reaped from the modernization of authentication methods. In particular, they can:
- Take advantage of investment in enrollment campaigns, leveraging biometrics to improve voter check-in at polling stations on the day of an election
- Ensure the "one voter, one vote" principle and therefore enhance the credibility of elections
- Provide additional tools to validate election results
- Generate electronic audits and reports
- Discourage opposition groups from contesting election results
3 questions we can help answer
The Gemalto Mobile Voter Authentication Terminal is an easy-to-use, handheld, high-performance Android-based device that provides an efficient and reliable method of authentication at voting stations.
The Terminal will help answer these 3 key questions:
- Is the voter registered on the electoral list?
- Is the voter the person he or she claims to be?
- Has the person in question already voted?
For more on voter authentication and biometrics for elections, please read our report on "one man, one vote".