Coffee makes the world go around.
Coffee is more than just a jump-start to the morning routine.
It's a sacred ritual, an excuse to meet with friends and a passion for epicureans who enjoy the complex flavours coffee beans provide.
It's also a powerful economic force and one of the most valued traded commodities in the world second only to oil.
The bad news?
Unfortunately, the coffee value chain represents a long journey that leaves some participants with only a tiny percentage of the profit.
Here comes the good news.
The Bonaverde Berlin coffee maker
Bonaverde, a Berlin-based tech start-up, is changing all this: they're using the IoT to disrupt the ecosystem and propose a new way for coffee to be traded, brewed, perceived and enjoyed.
Bonaverde teamed up with Thales to enable secure IoT connectivity for the centrepiece of its groundbreaking system - the first Roast-Grind-Brew Coffee Machine.
So what's special about it you may ask?
This smart coffee maker monitors and manages all aspects of brewing the freshest and fairest pot of coffee while staying connected to the Bonaverde Coffee Cloud.
You'll discover an impressive depth of flavour.
Is this the best coffee machine?
Is this the best coffee machine ever? We can't say, but it's probably the smartest for the moment.
The system allows consumers to easily order green coffee beans straight from their preferred farmers.
The coffee maker correlates data from the cloud to prepare a perfectly roasted, ground and brewed cup of coffee.
More than just a coffee maker, the Bonaverde system and Bonaverde's Coffee Cloud allow users to automatically:
- Reorder beans when supplies are running low,
- Connect and share recipes, opinions on favourite beans and farmers and their love of coffee.
The possibilities for the Bonaverde system are very inspiring!
Thousands of farmers and consumers have already signed up. In just six months, the company has garnered a dedicated and involved customer base of more than 10,000 coffee lovers.
With decades of experience in IoT and digital security, Thales was the ideal partner to complement Bonaverde’s ambitious start-up vision, Thales’ expert consulting helped us from the very beginning. First, they carefully studied our specific challenges and then offered a complete technology solution for connecting our coffee machines and implementing an intelligent cloud solution that can adapt and scale easily, as the ecosystem expands. said Hans Stier, Founder and CEO at Bonaverde
More resources on Tech and Coffee
- For IoT enthusiasts: IoT solutions from Thales
- For coffee fans:18 Must-Read Blogs for Coffee Enthusiasts
More inspiring IoT examples
Eltopia: IoT solutions to save bees
- MedMinder makes Medication Smarter with IoT Connected Pill Box
- Exeter to reach carbon neutrality by 2030
- OnKöl mHealth Device (IoT at work)
- Mobike demonstrates the power of IoT
- Svep Design Center and the IoT (Interview)
- Cargo Tracck Protects Rainforest Trees
- Globalmatix to connect the unconnected
- iLOC watch enhances safety for loved ones
- Enkom Active Oy and the IoT (Interview)
- ERTICO enables eCall across Europe
- Aware 360 and Thales in IoT
- Vignet and the mHealth Challenge
- Tauron and Smarter Energy (IoT connectivity)